The purpose of the ASHCA Safety Grants Program is to encourage and provide financial support for agricultural safety and health interventions at the local and/or regional level in order to facilitate timely application of evidence-based safety/health strategies to protect agricultural workers.
With a theme of “strengthening partnerships for safety” the priority for ASHCA’s grants are:
- Programs that encourage building a broad culture of safety in agricultural enterprises by engaging both management and workers in the planning and implementation of successful injury reduction programs.
- “Hands-on” training initiatives that will increase all workers’ adoption of proven safety practices and be sustained beyond the grant period.
- Programs that facilitate and encourage widespread sharing of agricultural safety and health initiatives and whose product can be widely communicated, shared, and implemented.
- Programs that encourage continuing professional education and development, as well as encouraging next-generations to participate in agricultural safety and health careers.
- Initiatives that reach everyone, at every job level and role, in the agricultural workforce.
2016 Safety Grant Recipients
“Agricultural Safety Training for a Farm Incubator,” Nathan Harkleroad, Agriculture and Land-Based Training Association (ALBA), Salinas, CA.
“New York Farm Bureau’s Regional Safety Training,” Jeffrey Simons, Erie County Farm Bureau, East Aurora, NY.
“Dairy Farm Bilingual New Hire Safety Training,” Lisa Ford, Cayuga Marketing LLC, Auburn, NY.
“Agricultural Hazard Identification and Evaluation: Resource Guides and Training Association,” Guadalupe Sandoval, California Farm Labor Contractor Association, Sacramento, CA.
“Grain Entrapment Safety Education with Farmers, Workers and Fire Departments, Chris Warriner Yates Farm Safety in conjunction with Benton Fire Dept., Penn Yan, NY.
“Bilingual Fire Safety on Vermont Farms,” Louise Waterman, Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets, Montpelier, VT.
For information regarding ASHCA’s 2017 Safety Grant Program, click the icon below.